Monday, March 23, 2009

It's a Jungle of A Cake

I have to admit this cake was such a great concept on paper and I couldn't wait to get started. Then after three days of making animals I quickly decided this cake was a lot of work! I did preserve and I finished Saturday night. Seeing the reactions from the parents-to-be at the shower made it all worth the effort. Ok, I also admit I just about couldn't bear to see it cut, but I finally did let the guests have their cake and eat it too.

Using the Hi-Ratio shortening in the frosting was amazing, no more Crisco brand for my cakes. Basically Hi-Ratio shortening is the "old school" shortening, before companies started taking trans fat out of everything. It's a good idea for our health, but bad for making awesome frosting for cake decorating. It creates a creamy, non-gritty texture and it also much smoother to frost the cake.

And now the for the pictures: