Thursday, January 3, 2008

My Newest Cake Books

I got two new books for Christmas! The first was one I found at our local Barnes and Noble, "Beautiful Cakes" by Peggy Porschen. The photos of her cakes, cookies and other projects are gorgeous. She explains how to decorate each example and has a very helpful section with recipes, hints and how-to's. I haven't ever heard of this decorator, but she is a very well known for her beautiful cakes among cake decorators! Check out her website for more examples of her cakes. (An FYI for those who might be interested in her book "Romantic Cakes", here is a link that explains it's the same book as Beautiful Cakes...just a different title.)


The other book I got after I saw a recommendation for it at CakeJournal, simply entitled "cupcakes." I can't wait to try a couple of the recipes from it.

I am in the process of making a cake for our women's ministry dinner tomorrow night at my church. I baked the cake already and put the filling in this morning. It's good to let it sit for a couple of hours before covering it. Tonight or tomorrow I will cover it with my marshmallow fondant. My plan is to brush embroider red flowers on it once I get it covered in the fondant. I had plenty of batter so I baked a set of oval cake layers and one little for the family last night. Gave me a chance to use up some extra frosting and they were excited to get cake! I usually don't let them have any until I have trimmed them or bring them a piece home!

No comments: