Friday, May 21, 2010

Happy Birthday April!


In celebration of my friend April's birthday I made a cake using one of her favorite fondant flowers. The cake is based on this cake from cakejournal, which is one of my favorite decorators! I used a bell flower cutter, and a flower press to make all the flowers for her cake. Very easy to make!

The cake is Raspberry Lemonade with Raspberry mousse filling. I used the WASC cake recipe from Cake Central, using lemon cake mix, lemon flavoring. Taking about 4 cups of the lemon batter, I added a small box of raspberry jello. I divided the lemon batter and poured it in the pans, then added the raspberry batter and swirled it gently. The recipe made two 10x4 inch cakes. For the raspberry mousse I used this recipe but added more pastry pride (stabilized whipped cream). I wanted a more sweet taste than the tangy one the original recipe creates.
I iced the cake in white buttercream and then applied the stems, flowers and leaves. (Leaves & stems are green buttercream). I piped a simple border on the bottom in buttercream.

Happy Birthday April!


No comments: