Friday, February 13, 2009

Red Velvet Cake

Today I baked my cakes for the Valentine heart cakes using this recipe that found at one of my favorite cupcake blogs, "How To Eat A Cupcake." Cassie has some of the most amazing cupcake recipes. The only change I made was I used coffee in place of the water. I used Americolor gel paste in Red Red, and very pleased with the look. I only used about about a tablespoon of color.

I was planning on making cream cheese frosting to fill it with, but I am considering using the frosting recipe Cassie used on her cupcakes. From what I have tasted of the cake scraps from torting the cake, I think the boiled frosting would be a better compliment to the cake.
I used the set of heart pans that were grandmother's, and they baked the batter up very nicely. The pans are not very deep, so the layers are about 1 1/2 inch tall. I did have torte them, but I didn't have to take too much off.

Now to make the fondant, filling and frosting, and see which design wins, only and hour left to vote.

While the cakes were baking I mixed up a batch of No Fail Sugar Cookies. I made a couple of changes my using half butter, half butter flavored shortening, and adding about a teaspoon of almond flavoring. If I have time to bake them and cover them with Chocolate Fondant.

No comments: