Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mommy and Me Patriotic Cake

I wanted to practice getting my icing smooth on a cake, so I got out my last cake from the freezer and went to work. I am getting better, but need to get much stronger boards for support. The beautifully smooth cake cracked when we picked it up to move it. After I got the sides done I pipped the boarder on, then left the rest for Lauren to finish.

Since we would be celebrating the 4th with friends, I decided to go with a patriotic design for Our Independence Day. Lauren and I found several different red, white, and blue decorations (gotta love those clearance sections right before a holiday!) and decided they would work well on the cake. I gave Lauren free reign on designing the cake with her decorations (ok, I gave just a couple, very, very few, suggestions.) With decorations in hand and a piping bag she went to work. She did a great job, much different that I expected it to be. I love the way she grouped her designs and gave it a 3-D effect. When we took the cake to our gathering on Friday, there were a lot of oh's and ah's and I did brag a bit on Lauren (who later told me I was embarrassing her!)

Top View of Completed Cake:

The center of the top of the cake:


Side Views of the Cake:

1 comment:

Becka said...

OH MY! What glorious cakes!! I want a piece NOW!
Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog! Spending time with Our Father is crucial, isn't it?!
As for making st. markers, you know, I read tutorials online (google stitch marker tutorial) and I watched videos on youtube.com and here: http://www.jewelrysupply.com/ and http://www.fusionbeads.com/beadingfaq/bead_techniques.php
I'm very much a "visual" learner so I searched for videos which helped me. And picked up a few tools @ ACMoore and I'm now addicted, LOL! It's almost as much fun as socknitting...almost, LOL!