Saturday, August 4, 2007

Cake Websites and A Dragon Theme Birthday Cake

I found a great new website called Cake Journal, her cakes are amazing! Louise lives in Denmark so her cakes have a different flair that what we are used to seeing here in the US. I especially like her flowers.

Another great website is by Rebecca Sutterby called Sugar Creations, her cakes are also amazing, with most of them done in fondant. She is well known in the cake decorating industry.

Also, if you have lots of free time on your hands to just look at cakes of all kinds, check out Cake Central, where decorators post their latest creations. Need help with cake baking, decorating, cookies, or a need a new cake recipe you can probably find it there. The White Almond Sour Cream Cake is one recipe I have discovered that makes a great cake.

Yesterday I baked the WASC for a cake today. Tyler's birthday is tomorrow, but we are celebrating with his friends today. He asked for that particular cake and marshmallow Fondant for his birthday cake. I made up a couple of batches of MMF the other day. In reading through the forums at cake central I got a few helpful hints on preparing the WASC cake. Today I will torte it, fill it with cheesecake filling & strawberries, and decorate it in fondant. It's going to have a Dragon theme, based on the "Eragon" book. Not the movie since it doesn't follow the book and I was careful to use the dragon picture on the book and not from the movie! After I get it finished I up I will post pictures!

Cake Update!

I finished up Tyler's cake!
  • Oval Cake, 2 Layers torted and filled with Cheesecake filling and sliced strawberries. White Almond Sour Cream Recipe. (Oval for an egg, because the dragon egg is a key element in the story.)
  • Marshmallow Fondant used to cover the cake and for the decorations. Except the picture, I just printed a color copy and cut it out and laid it on top of the cake. The "spikes" in the bottom border are grains of rice.
  • I mixed pearl dust from Wilton (much like luster dust) with clear vanilla and a tiny bit of blue and painted the fondant. I darked up the mixture with more blue and darken the tips of the "scales". It dried very nicely and I really liked the way it brighten up the fondant.
One of the Tyler's friends asked if I got it from the store and was quite amazed I actually made it. When it came time to serve the cake, his other friend said he didn't really like fondant. Tyler told him he would like this one, it's made with marshmallows. He ended up eating the fondant before I even got the ice cream on his plate! I served the cake with ice cream and extra strawberries.

Saphira Birthday Cake for Tyler's 13th Birthday:
Close up of the "Scales":

Close up of the side of the cake and bottom border:

Happy Birthday Tyler!!!

No comments: